"Hi Joe, We are not sure if our humidifier is working. We have it turned on but we are getting shocks when we touch things. Should we turn it up to a higher setting? Thanks, Amanda"
Hi Amanda, Generally, getting shocks when you touch surfaces in the home means your humidistat is set too low. However, in this very cold weather, you really should be lowering the setting. The rule of thumb is that as temperatures fall, it is easier for condensation to form on cool surfaces like windows. Should you notice your windows fogging up, you definitely have raised the setting too high! Here are the recommended humidity levels for your home: A humidity monitor can also help you manage humidity in your home. You can find one in any building supply or hardware store.
*Please note this article was originally published in the Spring 2014 edition of The Rockwood Times.